Fixfire® is a leading independent family business specialising in Life and Property Protection systems and equipment. A trusted brand, we are renowned for delivering proven, quality and innovative solutions. Committed to being our customers’ “best alliance for compliance™” the foundational principles of honesty and integrity that guided our steps when the company started in 1976 firmly remain as core values at the heart of our ethos.
With a head office in Coventry and a branch office in Loughborough we serve an established customer base installing and maintaining Fire Alarm, Emergency Lighting, CCTV, Access Control, Nurse Call and Fire Extinguishers. We are looking for a Support Technician to join our busy Projects and Service teams based in Coventry. The role will be primarily office-based but include site attendance as required.
Project Delivery takes place through a combination of directly employed and contract labour resource and the direct procurement of equipment, installation materials and provision of requisite plant. Activities vary from small works to turnkey project installations. Service Delivery includes Commissioning followed by ongoing planned and reactive maintenance activities.
As Support Technician, you will be technically adept, detail-oriented, personable and articulate, possessing a challenge-solving and positive attitude. Knowledge of the protection systems we install and maintain is not essential as training will be provided however you will be expected to learn fast.
Systems we install and maintain are increasingly connected to conventional IP networks and background knowledge in general IT including network installations, hardware and applications is an essential prerequisite for the role.
• Support the activities of the Projects and Service Delivery Teams, focussing on technical elements.
• Apply your experience in general IT systems and networks to the specialist field of life safety systems in which we operate.
• Gain an understanding of the products and services we provide and become an authority on the technical standards that underly them. Undertake technical and manufacturer training where relevant.
• Ensure we deliver Projects and Services at a level of quality and technical capability that aligns with the promises we make to our clients and complies with legislative requirements and good industry practices.
• Over time:
- Use your knowledge to provide technical support and guidance to external and internal customers including the Engineering Team. Answer incoming Technical Support telephone calls and emails including out-of-hours support on occasion.
- Disseminate technical information and updates internally, creating technical bulletins, meeting content and practical demonstrations.
- Represent the Company in a technical capacity attending presentations, audits and handovers as appropriate.
- Take responsibility for the technical elements of our Quality Management System. Carry out regular audits on all installation, commissioning and servicing activities. Prepare written audit reports. Implement and support necessary change as part of continual improvement and risk reduction.
- Apply your knowledge of installation methods to ensure safe work practises are applied consistently across Projects and Service Delivery Teams.
• Other duties as directed
Key skills required:
• Strong background in Information Technology including knowledge of general IT systems, network installation, hardware and applications
• The ability to grasp technical principles quickly with an attention to detail that befits a life-safety system environment
• A positive can-do approach: the capacity to proactively work with others to achieve a goal
• The ability to communicate fluently at all levels visually, verbally and in writing
• A disciplined approach to time management; the ability to work to deadlines and balance priorities in a fast-paced environment of competing workstreams
The role is suited to someone looking to apply their background knowledge in general IT systems and principles to the growing, ever-developing specialist market of life-safety systems and applications. General electrical knowledge will also be an advantage but is not essential.
The ideal candidate is likely to:
• Have an aptitude for technology-related subjects
• Be interested in systems, computing and understanding how products work
• Have experience working in an SME
• Have experience delivering technical support to non-technical end users and colleagues
• Enjoy the opportunity to support their technical development with practical on-site experience
This is a full-time, permanent position reporting to the Projects Director.
Salary is negotiable.